Münzgasse in Dresden’s historic old town
Elector Moritz (1521-1553) created Dresden’s oldest lane around 1550, and it bore the name Newe/Große Fischergasse until 1849. It owes its name of Münzgasse to the Neue Münze (mint), which was built in 1773 and was located around the corner by the Frauenkirche.
Apart from the master minters, it also became a meeting place for the stablemen and coachmen from the adjacent Klepperstall, the artisans from Töpfergasse, the merchants from the Jüdenhof, and the more refined noblemen frequenting Brühl’s Garden or the art exhibitions.
The 13 houses which the lane had to list on an 1849 floor plan of Dresden, the capital and seat of royal power, included three inns. Descending the stairs at Brühl’s Terrace from the Elbe and “steamboat disembarkation point”, there would be the “Grüner Baum” tavern and guesthouse on the left-hand side, while the “Goldenes Fass” once stood on site of the present-day Hilton hotel.
Just like Dresden’s entire inner city and the Frauenkirche, the buildings on Münzgasse also fell victim to the night of bombing in February 1945. Rubble piled up beneath Brühl’s Terrace. Nothing remained of the popular Münzgasse. Only the ruins of the Frauenkirche pointed skyward as stark reminders, though barely reached higher than the Münzgasse’s other crumbling buildings.
To a certain extent, construction of the Dresdner Hof (1987 to 1990) – today the Hilton – laid the foundations for the architectural resurrection, while the dining industry was boosted by the hotel sector, and particularly also the private owners of restaurants and cafés in Münzgasse.
View from the Albertinum at Neumarkt
Münzgasse from Brühl’s Terrace, looking up towards the Frauenkirche