The history of the Stollen knife
The “Dresdner Stollenmesser” knife also dates back to the time of Augustus the Strong, who ruled over the entire land in the early 18th century as King of Poland and Elector of Saxony.
In 1730, Augustus the Strong held the famous “Zeithainer Lustlager” party, which even today represents the unembellished grandeur of the baroque era. At this party, Zacharias, the royal master baker for Augustus the Strong, not only presented a 1.8-tonne Christstollen cake, but also a 1.6-metre-long Stollen knife designed specially for this baroque spectacle, and made out of Sterling silver. From 1730 onwards, the knife, known for its formidable size, was kept in the royal silver chamber of Dresden Castle. At the end of World War II, however it went missing, and was never seen again.
Dr Peter Mutscheller, who became famous as the re-inventor of the Dresdner Stollenmesser, spent more than 2 years in museums, archives and libraries looking for traces of the culturally priceless silverware until he found a single copper engraving by artist Elias Back, which provided information on dimensions. The engraving, entitled “Praise and glory for the baker’s trade”, depicts a scene from the “Zeithainer Lustlager”, with an angel holding a cloth bearing a picture of the Dresdner Stollenmesser knife and its exact dimensions. In co-operation with the Saxon and Solingen craftsman’s workshops, Dr Mutscheller had the lost 1.6-metre Dresdner Stollenmesser from 1730 reconstructed, true-to-original, based on this guideline, presenting it to the public at the 1st Dresden Stollenfest in 1994.
The large Dresdner Stollenmesser “sleeps” all year round at a secret location at the BUSINESSPARK Dresden, where it can be viewed by visitors, upon request.
Contact via – Hommage Dresden
Gesellschaft zur Förderung traditioneller Handwerkskunst in Sachsen mbH
Bertolt-Brecht-Allee 22, 01309 Dresden
Information about the Dresdner Stollen seal
can be found here >>
The Dresdner Stollenmesser knife
An example of Saxon handicraft – Hard silver plating with delicate engraving of baroque decorations – 35 cm long